Sunday, July 12, 2015

Mexican Veggie Carne Asada Pie with Polenta Crust


Well hello gorgeous!  Well, it's gorgeous now, not so much when you take it out of the pan.  I've got to work on that!  It's what's on the inside that counts, right?  Well I'll tell you what, the inside of this dish is chocked full off veggies, beans, and other clean eating ingredients!


Ingredients:

1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Medium White Onion, chopped
8 Oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
1 16 oz Can Chick Peas, rinsed
I Cup Colby Jack Cheese
I Cup FF Refried Beans

2 1/2 TBS Wildtree Taco Seasoning
1 TSP Wildtree Spicy Carne Asada Seasoning
2 TSP Wildtree Garlic Grapeseed Oil, divided
1/4 Cup Water

Polenta Crust:

Ok, I cheated.  I bought the prepared tube of polenta you can find at any grocery store.  You can use the 24 oz tube, or make from scratch.  I use this recipe when I make my own.
1 Egg
3 TBS FF Milk

Method of Preparation:

Heat one tsp of garlic grapeseed oil in a skillet, and add peppers, onions and mushrooms.  Cook 2-3 minutes over medium heat, until onions are almost translucent. Add mushrooms and chick peas and cook an additional 3 minutes.  Add 1/4 cup water and the Taco and Carne Asada seasonings, stirring to incorporate, simmering until water is evaporated.  Set skillet aside. 

If preparing from scratch, let polenta come to room temperature.  If using store bought crumble entire tube with your hands.  Add egg and milk and smoosh until mixed together well.  I've found using my hands is the best way to accomplish this :)

Poor remaining Garlic Grapeseed Oil into a medium sized cast iron skillet.  I used a silicon brush to apply to the entire inside of pan.  Pressed polenta evenly in the bottom of the pan, working your way up the sides.




Poor veggie mixture into pan.  I heated my cast iron skillet up on the stove, then baked at 350 for 20 minutes.  I topped with the cheese, and back in the over for 25.

Like I said earlier this is a sexy dish before you cut it...lol  Here's the dreaded after photo:


Not so gorgeous, right?  My crust fell a bit.  I think next time I will heat the pan and then carefully put the polenta in, and also use about 8 oz more polenta.

One thing I can tell you though, is this is DELICIOUS.  I mean seriously good eating.  Top it with a little sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes....Pick your poison it will only make it better!

If you'd like to check out Wildtree products please visit my website,  http://www.mywildtree.com/kellycalton 

Don't forget to like me on Facebook!  http://facebook.com/freezeit 









No comments:

Post a Comment