Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Chicken Quesadilla Muffins

So i love Mexican food.  Seriously love Mexican food.  As I try to clean up my eating habits I've been challenged to find a way to still have things I enjoy that are just a bit more healthy.

Chicken Quesadilla's are a favorite of mine, but I wanted to replace the shell with a more complex carb option.  I also love single serving type recipes, so I came up with this!

I could totally binge on these - they are so freakin' good!  I say could because they are so incredibly filling that there is just no way that's going to happen!


The beautiful part of this recipe is that most of it came out of my freezer and was cooked in the crock pot!

Ingredients:

For Chicken Filling:

1 ½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts 
1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes 
1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chilies 
2 teaspoon Wildtree Chicken Bouillon blend 
¼ cup Wildtree Fiesta Salsa blend 

For Corn Muffin:

4 cups water
1 cup corn meal
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
2 eggs
3 tablespoon milk

Reserved:

1 teaspoon Wildtree Grapeseed Oil
1 cup cheddar jack cheese
1/4 cup sour cream

I make my Polenta ahead of time.  Actually I always try to have some polenta in my refridgerator for recipes like this!  Bring water to a boil, and slowly, and I mean slowly whisk in corn meal.  If you add to much at once it will clump, and trust me, you do not want that!  Cook on low, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes, until it is really hard to stir and it pulls away from the side of the pan.  If making that day bring to room temp before adding eggs and milk.

Combine polenta with eggs and mild.  Best way to do this?  The good old fashioned way with your hands!  Now I use the large silicon muffin pan, so I put about 1/2 cup polenta into each slot.  If you don't use silicon I would recommend lining your pan for easy removal.

Lightly brush Grapeseed Oil in each muffin slot, and add polenta.  I cover a spice bottle with plastic wrap and gently press down, making an indentation.  Bake for 10 minutes at 350 to set.

Chicken Filling:

Combine all ingredients for chicken filling in a large Ziploc freezer bag and freeze if preparing later. When ready to cook, empty thawed bag into crockpot, add ½ cup water, cover, and cook on low for 8 hours. At serving time, shred the chicken with a fork, add ½ cup sour cream, and stir. Let simmer an add’l 5-10 min. 

Fill each muffin with chicken filling.  I get about 8 muffins using my large muffin pan.  Bake 25 minutes or until top of corn muffin starts to brown.  Sprinkle with cheese and cook for a few more minutes, until cheese melts.

With a few substitutions this recipe is awesome for people doing the Weight Watcher Simply Filling Technique.  Hell it's good for the points system too!  It is so delicious and filling!

Want to check out some of the seasonings in this recipe?  You can get any of them from my website, http://www.mywildtree.com/kellycalton  Wildtree is certified organic and most of our products are gluten free!  I love my Wildtree business and if you'd like to know more, check out my FAQS!!  Getting my groceries for free and making money at the same time?  Winning!

Keep up with me on facebook!  http://www.facebook.com/freezeit


No comments:

Post a Comment