Friday, September 26, 2014

Healthy Chicken Lemon "Rice" Soup Riff

There are some recipes that require you to be a Grandma - to make a dish that lives in a person's memory forever.  They've been passed down generation to generation and perfected.  I can still remember what our old neighbor's tamales tasted like, and I was like 5 the last time I had them.  Their Grandma would spend all day making them, and they are the gold standard to which I hold all tamales, 30 some odd years later.

Polish Grandma = life changing Peirogies.  Southern Grandma = Red Velvet Cake (made with beet juice thank you very much)  Italian Grandma = Anisette cookies....You get my drift.

My all time favorite though, is one of my Greek friend's Grandma's Lemon Rice Soup.  Rich and velvety, comforting and delicious, I would beg, borrow and steal to get an invite when Ya-Ya was making the soup for dinner.  She even gave me her recipe and while I could make a mean Lemon Rice Soup, it never was close to being as good as hers.

Expanding waist lines and cholesterol levels have driven me to do the unholy - try and make a healthy version, for the slow cooker non-the-less.  I wanted to eliminate the Eggs! and use a complex carb.

This can't go well, right? Wrong!  Now I wouldn't in a million years compare it to hers, but it could stand up to those soups those 24 hour Greek restaurants pump out.

It's healthy, filling, comforting, rich, and delicious!


Ingredients:
5 Cups Water
10 Teaspoons Wildtree Chicken Bouillon
3/4 Cup Bulgur Wheat
1/4 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
1/2 Cup Non-Fat Greek Plain Yogurt
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
2 Teaspoons Wildtree Smokey Bacon Grapeseed Oil
1 cup Rotisserie Chicken
1 1/2 Lemons

Method of Preparation:

Combined water,bouillon, bulgur, salt, and pepper in your slow cooker.  I used a 2 quart slower cooker for this recipe.  Cook on high for 2 hours.

Add cornmeal, yogurt, chicken and oil.  Squeeze Lemons and add juice.  Stir well to incorporate new ingredients. Cover and cook for 1 more hour on low.

I added left over rotisserie chicken because I wasn't sure of the cook time while I made it.  I think it is the best way to go with cooking in the slow cooker for this recipe.

I use Wildtree products in all my recipes.  You could definitely sub, by why would you want to do that?  Wildtree is all natural, GMO and preservative free!

To order Wildtree products please visit http://www.mywildtree.com/kellycalton

Interested in joining a white hot business? Wildtree will have 65% of their products certified #glutenfree and 88% of their products certified #organic by the end of the year! Check out my FAQ's to learn more on how you can join this amazing business for $49.95! https://www.facebook.com/notes/wildtree-with-kelly-calton/faqs-on-joining-wildtree/583740365039229

No comments:

Post a Comment