Sunday, August 14, 2016

Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs - Freezer Friendly

So I'm on a mission to get together a great freezer meal workshop together that will allow me to create about 10 meals to place in my freezer, ready to cook when my day has been just to crazy.  It's taking me a while because I want to be sure to test them and make sure they are delicious and hold up to the freezing process.

Yesterday I posted Meal # 1, Italian Beef Sandwiches, that turned out amazing!  I'm trying to keep the same spice profile on part of these to cut down on groceries, so I decided on Meatballs for my second go round.


They turned out just as delicious as the beef.  The wonderful part about these is they can go straight from the freezer to your pressure cooker!  You can also do these in a slow cooker!  How versatile is that?  I also froze them in a way that I could take out as many as I like - no need to cook 40 meatballs all at once!  I also made this recipe super easy.  Yeah, if I'm cooking on the weekend I'll saute onion and peppers and all that jazz, but this is meant to be super quick, super easy, and super delicious!

I use Wildtree spices in all my recipes, but I always give substitutions for those who are not interested.  If you would like to know more about Wildtree or to order products you can Check out my website.  

Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs (makes 40):

Ingredients:

1 pound ground pork
1 pound ground beef 90% lean
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Wildtree Hearty Spaghetti Sauce Blend (or Italian Spice Blend -in the spice isle)
2 teaspoons Wildtree California Style Garlic and Pepper Blend (1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon black pepper)
1 teaspoon onion powder
20 fresh small mozzarella balls, deli style, cut in half or large ball cut into 40 1/2 inch cubes

At mealtime (for 12 meatballs):

2 15 oz cans crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons Wildtree Spaghetti Sauce Blend
1 teaspoon Wildtree Califonia Style Garlic Pepper Blend

or 30 oz your favorite spaghetti/marinara sauce

Method of Preparation:

Put all ingredients except mozzarella into a bowl and mix thoroughly.  I really get in there will my hands and mush away because I like these to be tender, like a Swedish meatball.  If you don't want that consistency, mix gingerly until all incorporated.

I used a 2" cookie scoop to measure my meatballs so they would all be the same size and shape.  Measure your meat, place in your hand and flatten out.  Place one piece of mozzarella in the middle and form the meatball around the cheese, making sure is it all encased.


Place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. continue until all the meatball mixture is gone, which should be about 4 meatballs.

Place sheet tray of meatballs in freezer for at least 3 hours and no more than 8.

Transfer meatballs to a zip top bag, being sure to remove as much air as possible.  Freeze until you are ready to use.

I am the world's worst food blogger photographer!

There are only 3 people in my house so I took 12 meatballs out for my first try.  I chose to cook mine in my Instant Pot, but you could also do this with a slow cooker if you do not have a pressure cooker.

Add crush tomatoes, spaghetti and garlic blend seasoning to pot.


Stir to incorporate.

Place frozen meatballs in sauce.


Place your cover on your Instant Pot and set for manual mode for 15 minutes.  Once done do a 10 minute natural release and then release the pressure.

For the slow cooker place in your pot and cook on low for 6 hours.  With both methods please be sure to check your internal temps to be sure your food is safe :)

These are great with pasta, polenta, or just on a toothpick for an appetizer.  

I just fished my meatballs out, added 6 ounces of noodles and a 1/2 cup of water and had this:


I hope you enjoy!  If you want to keep up to date on my freezer meal progress be sure to like my Facebook page.  I plan on having a downloadable grocery list, bag labels, and recipes so you can shop and make 10 meals for the freezer at once!

If you'd like to order the Wildtree products for this recipe they are item numbers 10570 and 10197.

You can order here.

No comments:

Post a Comment