Thursday, January 8, 2015

Make Ahead Southwest Chicken or Turkey Burgers

I have a confession to make.  I am a huge food waster.  Like I'll go to the store, buy all this healthy stuff, have a complete week from hell and only end up making half of it because I am either to tired or stressed out to cook every night.

Enter these awesome make ahead meals, or freezer meals if you will.  I got a lot of good feedback on Facebook with the last one I posted, so this is one of my absolute favs.



What's really nice about this recipe is when I make the burgers I individually wrap them in parchment so I can just take a couple out.  The recipe makes four burgers, but when ground turkey or chicken go on sale I'll make 3 or 4 pounds worth and have them at my ready in the freezer. With the cost of food skyrocketing, this has most definitely saved me some big time money.



These burgers pack a punch in the flavor department, and you'd never know you are eating something healthy!

Ingredients:

1 lb. Ground Chicken or healthier option: ground turkey
1 Tablespoon Wildtree Garlic Grapeseed Oil
2 Tablespoons Wildtree Fiesta Salsa Blend
1 Tablespoon Wildtree Rancher Steak Rub

Combine all ingredients in a freezer Ziploc and smush to blend. *Before freezing, you can shape meat into 4 patties, wrap in parchment and then freeze. Otherwise, the chicken is a little difficult to form into patties once thawed. I definitely recommend forming into patties before freezing.

 Freeze. 

When ready to serve, thaw bag in fridge. Heat 1 Tablespoon of Wildtree Garlic Grapeseed Oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. If using chicken where you didn’t pre-form the patties, spoon into the hot pan as the meat will be difficult to form into patties and pan fry or grill for about 5 min per side. If using turkey, form into patties and cook 5-6 min per side. Serve on buns with mayo or sour cream,  I like to add onions and tomatoes too :)

OPTIONAL: add provolone cheese slices during the last 3 min of cooking,
and melt by making an “aluminum foil tent” over the skillet. Serves 4.


Calories 280; Fat 19 g; Saturated Fat 0 g; Carbohydrate 7 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 21 g; Cholesterol 85 mg; Sodium 580 mg

The nutritional below reflect the recipe using extra lean ground turkey (no dark meat):
Calories 180; Fat 5 g; Saturated Fat 0 g; Carbohydrate 7 g; Fiber 2 g; Protein 21 g; Cholesterol 45 mg; Sodium 570 mg

To order Wildtree products please visit http://www.mywildtree.com/kellycalton

Interested in joining a white hot business? Wildtree will have 65% of their products certified #glutenfree and 88% of their products certified #organic by the end of the year! Check out my FAQ's to learn more on how you can join this amazing business for $49.95! https://www.facebook.com/notes/wildtree-with-kelly-calton/faqs-on-joining-wildtree/583740365039229

No comments:

Post a Comment