Sunday, September 14, 2014

Slow Cooking for Slow Morning Peeps

It's hard cooking for one or two people. Hell, sometimes it's hard to cook at all. I always have the best intentions of course but they go down the drain as life (and the snooze button) get in the way. I used to have a 130 pound alarm.
My fur child Nitro hates the alarm, like HATES IT. The minute it would go off he would start barking, and let me tell you when a 130 pound dog barks the windows shake and you get up quickly. Well after years of him being there to make sure I get up at 3 am (my start time kind of sucks) he learned something.
He could just grab a pillow and go sleep on the couch sometime before the alarm went off. My guaranteed wake you up from a dead sleep bark was gone. I know, i know perhaps I shouldn't let my dog on the couch. I don't, but when I'm not there he thinks it's okay. I'm just another dog parent who treated her dog like a kid and he responds in kind. I mean the dog totally has no conscience. He will tear up the garbage and sit in the middle of it like "Look what I did!" Ahh but my dog problems are for another post I suppose. All that matters is he's sweet and kind and gentle (unless you aren't a little kid or elderly - then look out as he will want to hug and/or sit on you).

So my time in the morning has been greatly reduced lately. I mean when it comes down to I only have time to take a quick shower or fix my lunch, well lunch is going to become take out. I know I could fix a nice salad or sandwich the night before, but they just don't seem "fresh" after sitting in the fridge all night.

 We have lots of good take out places where I work. They are full of fried, cheesy, greasy hole in the wall goodness, those diamond in the roughs people love to find but whose arteries would appreciate not so frequent visits.

 So I knew I had to do something as I'm not exactly 20 anymore. I found a totally cute 1.5 quart slow cooker at Amazon and figured I could do something with that. I mean all you need is electric and you are set.

Things could be planned in advance and you could even freeze stuff ahead of time for those mornings when you wear out the snooze button. I'm going to document all my adventures in slow cooking for one here. Something has got to give, and my waistline has given enough :)

No comments:

Post a Comment