Monday, August 15, 2016

Steak and Cabbage

So this is a dish we had growing up that reminded my parent's of their childhood.  Cheap cut of meat cooked for a long time, it was perfect for the struggling family.  It's also incredibly delicious and imagine my surprise when it came out just as awesome in the Instant Pot!

This is also seriously low carb and healthy!

I'll include regular and pressure cooker instructions, but I'll tell you what....I'll never stand at the stove for 50 minutes again when I can do it in 8 minutes!


So I think any of you regular visitors to my blog have figured out that food photography is not my forte....I kind of like my wonky photography - some of those blogs that have all the lighting and lets face it talent put up pictures that frankly misrepresent what you can accomplish in the kitchen.  Just know this - your food will turn out looking way better than my pictures...lol

Ingredients:

1.5 pounds tenderized round steak
1 small head of cabbage, core removed, quartered
3 teaspoons Wildtree Rancher Steak Rub (Or Montreal Steak Rub found in grocery store or just liberal salt and pepper)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup Bulgar Wheat (found in the International aisle at the grocery store)
2 1/2 cup beef broth

Method of Preparation:

Season steak liberally with seasonings:


Cut into 1 inch strips, being sure to keep them all the same size:


Set your Instant Pot to Saute Mode, drizzle oil  and wait for it to read hot.  Working in batches so not to crowd the pan give each piece a steak a good browning.




Once all the steak is done remove from pan and add the broth  Scrape the bottom of the pan and get all those delicious bits off and melted into your broth.  Add Bulgar.

Stir to incorporate

Next layer cabbage on top of bulgar/broth.


Give it a pinch of salt and then layer steak on top.


Close lid and cook on manual mode for 8 minutes.  Let naturally release for 10 minutes, and release any remaining pressure.  Stir all ingredients together, and if it still is a little juicy return to saute mode for a few minutes.  Enjoy!

Now if you want to cook this on the stove top:

You will not use the bulgar.  I use this to sop up the extra juice in the pan for this, and I love bulgar.  You will be stirring to much to do it this way.  

So instead of putting your ingredients in your Instant Pot, you will put them in your pan on the stove.  You need a very deep pan, and to be honest I usually use my stock pot.  I brown the steak just like above, add only 1 cup of broth, then return all - steak and cabbage to the pan.  cook on low for at least 50 minutes, stirring about every 5.

I used Wildtree products on this recipe.  As usual I've given subs for them, but if you'd be interested in ordering my website is here.  I appreciate the support!






6 comments:

  1. Are you sure Bulgur is gluten free?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stove top version without the bulgar is gluten free. I changed my Facebook post to make that more clear. Thanks for the heads up I assumed people would know!

      Delete
    2. The stove top version without the bulgar is gluten free. I changed my Facebook post to make that more clear. Thanks for the heads up I assumed people would know!

      Delete
    3. Can't be too careful with allergies!

      Delete
  2. The stove top version is gluten free :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete