Monday, October 6, 2014

Make a DYI Pumpkin Cooler!

I'll be the first one to admit that I am more likely to be on a Pinterest Fail page than one of the top rated crafts. I can hold my own when it comes to creativity, but I really lack the patience it takes to follow complicated directions unless I am extremely motivated, hence the Pinterest Fail Remark.

So when faced with the how to keep my awesome Greek Chicken Salad cold at a Halloween inspired party in a cute way I put that creativity to work.

You'll need to start with your pumpkin. I knew what sized bowl I would be using, so I took it with to be sure it could fit inside the pumpkin with room to spare. Once you have picked out your pumpkin, clean it out thoroughly, scraping the sides a bit more than if you were just going to carve it.


Line your pumpkin with something that will keep the moisture from melting ice away from your pumpkin. I picked up this Halloween plastic tablecloth for a dollar at the dollar store. Push down inside pumpkin making sure you have plenty of hang over on all sides.

*First timers lesson* If you are goin to decorate the outside with paint, markers or stickers, you want to do it now. It is not easy to do once the pumpkin is frozen.


Place your pumpkin in the freezer and add water. You will need to fill it about 1/4 of the way up. You may need more or less, and you'll be able to tell once you place your bowl in the pumpkin, but a good rule of thumb is 1/4


Place your bowl inside the pumpkin, gently pushing down so that the water rises around it. You will need to weigh the bowl down. I used my small crock pot insert, and when that wasn't enough I added a can of peanuts. Whatever works, right? You do not want the bowl to hit the bottom, so make sure you don't put to much weight in the pumpkin. It took about 4 hours for mine to freeze solid, and I checked on it after 2. Depending on the size of your pumpkin it may be take longer, but be sure to check that your bowl isn't being pushed up or crooked. Once frozen you can leave it in there until it is ready to be used!

*First timers lesson #2*: Be sure your pumkin is level. I have the bottom freezer and when I pushed the drawer back in it tilted a bit.

I then trimmed the plastic tablecloth, added my Greek Chicken Salad, and took to the party! I don't think the ice even melted at all after 5 hours! Pumpkins make great coolers - who would have thunk it? Once it does start melting there is no reusing - it will deflate like a balloon.

Click here if you'd like my healthy Greek Chicken Salad recipe!  It is delicious!

I use Wildtree to make it,  which means it is natural and healthy!

Don't forget to like my Facebook page http://facebook.com/freezeit


To order products or learn more about my team please visit my website, http://www.mywildtree.com/kellycalton If you do‪ #‎lowcarb‬ or weight watchers, send me a message to learn about our naked protein pack and how it can make your life a million times easier 






No comments:

Post a Comment